What are cookies?
Cookies are files that may be downloaded to your computer when you visit a website. They are tools that play an essential role in the provision of a host of information-society services. Among other things, they enable a website to store and retrieve information about a user’s browsing habits or their device and, depending on the information obtained, they can be used to recognise the user and improve the services the website provides.
Types of cookie
Two types of cookie can be distinguished depending on the nature of the entity that manages the domain from which cookies are sent and processes the data obtained:
- First-party cookies: those sent to the user’s terminal device from a computer or domain managed by the website publisher and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: those sent to the user’s terminal device from a computer or domain that is not managed by the publisher but by another entity that processes the data obtained by means of the cookies.
Cookies installed from a computer or domain managed by the publisher itself cannot be considered to constitute first-party cookies if the information they collect is managed and processed by a third party.
Cookies can also be classified according to the length of time they are stored on the user’s browser:
- Session cookies: designed to collect and store data during the time the user is visiting the website. They are usually employed to store information that is only relevant for the provision of a service requested by the user on a single occasion (e.g. to compile a list of purchased products).
- Persistent cookies: the data is stored on the user’s terminal and can be accessed and processed during the period defined by the person responsible for the cookie. This period can range from a few minutes to several years.
Finally, cookies can be classified into five different categories depending on the purpose for which the data is obtained and processed:
- Technical cookies: those that enable the user to browse a website, platform or application and use the options or services provided by the same. They perform functions such as monitoring traffic and data communication, identifying the session, managing access to private areas, remembering the items that comprise an order, performing the purchase process, managing requests for registration or participation in an event, deploying security components while browsing, storing content for dissemination of videos or audio files or sharing content via the social networks.
- Customisation cookies: they enable the user to access the service with certain predefined general characteristics based on a series of criteria in the user’s terminal such as the language, the type of browser through which the service is accessed, the regional configuration from which the service is accessed, etc.
- Analytics cookies: they enable the person responsible for the cookie to monitor and analyse the users’ behaviour on the websites to which they are linked. The information collected by means of this type of cookie is used to measure the website’s or application’s activity and to create browsing profiles for users of said sites or applications in order to improve the user’s experience on the basis of the results of the analysis of the use data about the user in question.
- Advertising cookies: they enable efficient management of the advertising content.
- Behavioural advertising cookies: they store information on the users’ behaviour patterns obtained by means of continuous observation of their browsing habits. This enables the site to develop a specific profile for each user and thus customise the advertising on the basis of said behaviour pattern.
Deactivating and deleting cookies
You can enable, block or delete the cookies stored on your device by configuring the options provided by your browser. However, keep in mind that some of the website’s services may no longer work properly if you disable the cookies they are using. The procedure for disabling cookies may differ slightly from browser to browser, but can generally be found in the Tools or Options menu. You can also consult the browser’s Help menu to find the instructions. Users can choose which cookies they want to enable on their devices at any time.
You can enable, block or delete the cookies stored on your device by configuring the options provided by your browser:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge: http://windows.microsoft.com/es-es/windows-vista/Block-or-allow-cookies
- Mozilla Firefox: http://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/impedir-que-los-sitios-web-guarden-sus-preferencia • Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=es
- Safari: http://safari.helpmax.net/es/privacidad-y-seguridad/como-gestionar-las-cookies/
- Opera: http://help.opera.com/Linux/10.60/es-ES/cookies.html
You can also manage storage of cookies in your browser by means of tools such as the following:
Cookies used on www.murciapuchades.com
A continuación se identifican las cookies que están siendo utilizadas en este portal así como su tipología y función:
|_ga||Analítica – Google Analytics||2 años||Used to count the number of unique visitors to the website, it stores a new client identifier.|
|_gat||Analítica – Google Analytics||10 minutos||Used to differentiate between the various tracking objects created during the session.|
|_gid||Analítica – Google Analytics||24 horas||Used to distinguish users.|
- Accept all cookies. This notice will not be displayed again when accessing any of the portal’s sections during the same session.
- Close. The notice will be hidden on the section in question.